Holy week! That's what everyone calls it here. This week begins with Palm Sunday and remembers the events of Jesus's last supper, trial, crucifixion, and resurrection. AKA Easter. So often in the West, we forget everything that happened except for his resurrection on Sunday. We might take a moment to think about his death on Good Friday, but other than that it's a normal, busy week.
Many people pilgrim to Jerusalem for this special week to reflect on every event of Jesus that's recorded about his last days in Jerusalem. Here are a few of my Holy Week highlights:
- Palm Sunday: Processional on the Mt. of Olives. Hundreds of people walked down the Mt. of Olives into Jerusalem's Old City! Palm branches and choruses of song filled the air.

- Maundy Thursday: This day remembers the New Covenant that Jesus proclaimed during the Last Supper. I attended Christ Church in the Old City, and then walked across the Kidron Valley, as the Biblical account records. The church met up again for a devotional in the Russian Orthodox Garden of Gethsemane on the Mt. of Olives. It was on that hillside that Jesus prayed and was taken into the hands of sinners.
- Good Friday: I attended my church here in Jerusalem - the Nazarene church - which held a quiet service of readings and songs to remember Jesus's death. Christ's words on the cross were read, followed by the extinguishing of a candle after each statement.
- Resurrection Sunday (tomorrow): I plan on adventuring to the Church of the Redeemer's sunrise service on the Mt. of Olives. Yes, it is VERY early. Yes, I will be a zombie. However, I'll see an amazing sunrise (Plus, they provide breakfast afterward! Complete with bacon!) Then I'll join the Nazarene's brunch and my school's BBQ for dinner. It'll be a full day with lots of fun and celebration! ... and food...
Hope your "Holy Week" has been memorable, wherever you are. The truths are the same around the world. Praise Jesus for His love for us!
I tried to leave a comment on Saturday but it was being mean......anyway - I bet it was a really great experience to celebrate Holy Week where the action happened! Powerful stuff. I also liked that you attended Redeemer, just like me. :)
ReplyDelete